Header Ads

Watch out for those products! They may have expired.




Do you know that most goods at the super market shelves may have expired? How regularly do you bother to check the expiry date on the label of the goods you are about to buy?

As an enthusiastic fan of the self-help supermarkets, which I find very convenient, I am afraid, I hardly bother. On my street alone, we have many of them literally littering the streets with many more springing up daily as old buildings undergo renovation to make way for bigger marts. Very often, I have gleefully visited these supermarkets each time a new one opens shop, sometimes simply to window shop and compare prices, other times to make real purchases.

Recently, I made a trip to one of these supermarkets located in my area to furnish a few shopping- buy a few groceries. As usual, I got there, made a few purchases and proceeded to the pay point, promptly made my payment and left.

On getting home, I was shocked to discover that the butter I bought looked rather rough on the inside, when I opened the seal and was dripping off liquid that seemed like melting fat. “What!” I exclaimed. ‘Why didn’t I notice this before now?’ I thought. Anyway, since I was a regular at the mart, being situated somewhere around the corner by my house, I quickly dashed back with the item.

I got there, and demanded to see the manager. When he appeared, he was apologetic and without much ado proceeded to make a refund. Rather puzzled at the speed in which my money was given back to me, I asked why I simply can’t change the item in question with another good one on the shelf. He answered matter of factly that the whole lot on the shelf had expired. He quickly added that he was going to order for the whole lot to be taken off the shelf. Horrified, I quizzed why they hadn’t deemed it fit to do that earlier. He explained it must have come from the suppliers. Unbelieving! I wondered how many unsuspecting customers must have bought these items and more visceral was knowing how many more of the items on display are actually fit for consumption, having outlived their expiry dates. “Buyers Beware!”

Note:
Do you care about the quality of what you consume? Are you worried that no one is doing anything to protect the right and health of consumers? Do you have an experience to share? Please feel free to write to us at Consumerdigestng.com. Your article will be published, I can assure you.


No comments

Powered by Blogger.